The future is full of possibilities. At Banner Health, we're excited about what the future holds for health care. That's why we're changing the industry to make the experience the best it can be. If you're ready to change lives, we want to hear from you.
Managed Care has the opportunity to interact with many departments within Banner as well as all multiple payer partners. Very cohesive and dynamic team who continue to grow and excel through the many contracting opportunities that present within Banner Health. Very rewarding opportunity with collaborative colleagues. Come join our dynamic team.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Health Network (BHN) is an accountable care organization that joins Arizona's largest health care provider, Banner Health, and an extensive network of primary care and specialty physicians to provide the most comprehensive healthcare solutions for Maricopa County and parts of Pinal County. Through BHN, known nationally as an innovative leader in new health care models, insurance plans and physicians are coming together to work collaboratively to keep members in optimal health, while reducing costs.
This position leads negotiations for managed care payer contracts on behalf of the organization. This position participates in the development and implementation of contract management tools and processes to assist in achieving the organizations contracting objectives and strategies. In addition, this position provides leadership and training to Contracts Management Specialists.
1. Negotiate and manage multiple complex payer fee for service and value-based contracts with insurance companies on behalf of Banner Health, all lines of business (e.g., hospitals, transplants, behavioral health, ancillaries, physician groups), and Banner Health Network. Work independently to draft, review and revise proposed contracts and other related documents, ensuring compliance with company policy/guidelines and legal and regulatory requirements by working collaboratively with internal and external customers (including company and payer legal counsel). Assess business terms to be sure the contract supports the company/business unit goals. Works directly with payers to negotiate and resolve contract issues, preparing contract documents for approval and execution by appropriate company leader.
2. Monitor contract renewals and solicit input from key internal stakeholders to identify contract revisions. Conduct analyses and compiles information for review of strategic contract terms for management review and decision making to specified areas of concern. Participates in contract monitoring and support tools (matrices), by reviewing and interpreting contracts, extracting key information for use by internal and/or external customers, and keeping abreast of changes in company locations for inclusion in various matrices. Maintains contract and correspondence file systems, key activity dates report (with corresponding notices of changes to external customers) and contract workflow log.
3. Develop relationships by collaborating with internal departments to successfully meet department and system strategic initiatives by initiating and maintaining effective channels of communication to ensure language memorializes Banner's intent and protects Banner from harm. Partners include but are not limited to Quality, Compliance, Risk, Legal, Credentialing, Medical Management, Banner Health Network, Revenue Cycle Management, Post-Acute Care.
4. Understand physician, facility and ancillary service contract reimbursement methodologies for Medicare, Medicaid, Exchange and Commercial fee for service products. Collaborate with financial analytics team to prepare, analyze, review, and project financial impact of larger or complex payer contracts and alternate contract terms and validate accurate reimbursement terms are reflected in all contracts. Understand value-based financial models including upside and downside risk models, including Medical Loss Ratio, Care Coordination Fees, CMS STARS and HEDIS quality metrics/measures.
5. Manage contracts for joint ventures, acquisitions and new facility openings. Actively participate, lead and/or complete special projects, develop and implement tools for process improvements, and serve as a resource for contract interpretation.
6. Build relationships that cultivate health plan partnerships. Serve as a resource for internal and external clients to interpret contract language and resolve contract issues by reviewing and interpreting contract terms and originating contract documentation. Assist in resolving elevated and complex payer concerns. Research problems and negotiate with internal/external partners/customers to resolve escalated issues.
7. Provide leadership and training to Contracts Management Specialists, including but not limited to reviewing and editing contract language in various documents, training new staff on essential department processes/communication flows, and serving as the primary resource for questions on complex and/or sensitive agreements.
Experience consistent with a Bachelor's degree in business, healthcare or related field required.
Requires five plus years of experience preferably relating to contract negotiation drafting, preparation and analysis within the healthcare insurance industry. Must possess demonstrated skill in problem analysis and resolution; contract management; oral and written communication. Requires problem solving skills and complex decision-making skills. Requires highly developed interpersonal and listening skills. Must be detail oriented. Must be able to function independently, possess demonstrated flexibility in multiple project management.
Experience in negotiating and administering health care insurance government and commercial payer contracts. Possess the interpersonal skills to interact effectively and cultivate supportive relationships with internal customers, managed care payers, consultants, outside agencies and internal/external corporate executives.
Ability to manage all contractual aspects of major projects.
Excellent written, proofreading, and verbal communication skills. Requires strong computer skills.
Must have a strong knowledge of healthcare industry financial indicators and an in depth understanding of Commercial, AHCCCS and CMS reimbursement methodologies.
Assignments in Managed Care require strong contract writing skills as well as a general understanding of health care claims .
For assignments in Managed Care, specific managed care contract experience is highly preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R21904
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.